Header Ads

If I can then why can't you???


If I can then why can’t you??? This is mine story, I am not trying to express what I have achieved as I know I have a million miles to go and it is just a beginning.

Introducing myself: Well, I am a dreamer, who dreams and wanted to achieve it. I am a planner, who plans and executes it. Lastly, I am one of you.

I started my career way back in April, 2007 in a product based company as a technical support executive. Though, my dream was to be a Software Engineer at first place but I had no option to start my career without Software Engineer tag. Reasons were as straight as it should be: I am neither an Engineer pass out nor am I have 60+% since 10th standard. Technically, I was a below average student, who had no interest in studying, who sleeps as soon as professor starts teaching. I knew if I had to get into IT, I need some base. Soon, I realized my decision of starting with a technical support designation was wrong and I can’t step back. I knew although I got into IT industry but moving from Technical Support to Software Engineer would be tough but not IMPOSSIBLE. I remember I read somewhere “No dream is too big, if you have desire to achieve it”, and I started following my dreams even during day times.

Mid 2007, when I came back to Mumbai after attending product training in New Delhi, I was assigned a Server where I need to upload some data and need to sign a register after successful upload. My dream seems to be scattered, I was confused and asked myself “Am I born to do this?” my answer was “NO, I am not”. I approached my HR and put my concerns she said “I can’t do anything about it. You were hired as Technical Support Executive you should have not joined at time itself.” Later I called my HR Head and he said “Look, I can understand what you want but we are product based company and we only hire B.Es and B.Techs from best college with best marks. Can you please go and check what you have done and then ask yourself do you really deserve this? You will get your answer. We all have dreams but they are dreams this is reality and you have to admit it, accept it and live it. I am sorry I can’t do anything, you should have done it before but now as you are a Technical Support guy you will have to be like this for entire lifetime.” I was broken after hearing all this. I was left with two options either live in present or change my future. I knew I can’t change my degree and percentage, B.Sc Physics with 50% and I knew I can’t live like this. So, I chose to change my future.

Mid-End 2007, after so much to struggle and request I was moved to enhancement cum development project, where my role was far better than before. I was into testing, enhancement, sort of development and implementation. I was happy but not fully satisfied. Later, I started giving Microsoft Certification Exams to improve my knowledge into .NET Framework. I remember how I made time to study for my exams: awakening till midnight, waking up early morning, studying in Mumbai Local, studying in Office, studying during weekends, etc.

Sooner, I became MCP, MCAD, and MCSD, MCTS and MCPD in .NET Framework 1.1 and 2.0, moreover, now I am certified in 3.5 and have knowledge of almost all technologies of .NET Framework. I thought probably now I have something to fight and I went back again to HRs. Unfortunately, I got very same answer. So, I planned to change my company and I started looking for job change. Despondently, I ended with 50 interviews rejection with very common justifications: You don’t have 60+% marks since 10th standard, you don’t have 16 years of education; I don’t think you are right person, anyone can clear exams using dumps, blah-blah. 50 interviews, guess what it comprises of all the big and small names which you have heard of, Indian giants to World giants. I was depressed and at one point I was so depressed that even I started thinking “Is this World is true, am I not worth of it?” But Thanks to Neha Bagoria, my mentor and my friend, Arindam Biswas, my ex-team lead and my friend, Nitesh Patil and Crisfan D’souza, my colleagues and my friends, Murtuza Unwala, my ex-manager, and Deo Bhardwaj, my ex-project manager, they motivated me whenever I felt low, they guided me whenever I was confused, they were always with me whenever I needed someone the most.

Later, After 2 years of struggle, I got into one of India’s biggest IT giant, Wipro Technologies, as a Software Engineer. On the day of joining I called my ex-HR Head and said “I made it, though it took 2 years for me to get a platform but at least now I have a path on which I can walk or run. It is just a beginning.” He had no words other than these “I knew you will do something different, I knew this since day one I was just waiting to see, will you accept it or change it. Wish you all the best.”

During my tenure with Wipro Technologies, I didn’t only achieve what I wanted but I achieved even more. I was awarded with “Outstanding Performance Award” and “Improving Performance Award” for my technical contribution in two projects. I started helping new comers in team by giving them technical trainings and sharing my ideas of development so that they should not struggle as I did. Interestingly, because of my hunger of learning and my passion towards Software Development, I was awarded with an onshore assignment in UK. Once, I was back from my onshore assignment, I planned to move out. Towards ending my tenure, I was assigned one more responsibility of an interviewer. Overall I am pleased working with Wipro Technologies and I am thankful to: Sanjeev Kumar Shukla and Srinivas Vundavalli, my ex-project managers, my project teammates, my true friends, my WASE friends and entire Wipro Technologies family.

I joined Accenture, one of the world leaders. I know I still have millions of miles to walk. Today, I am not only Sr. Software Engineer but also a mentor, a technical writer, an interviewer (WT), and a trainer in .NET Framework. I was smiling on my first day during induction as I knew I am coming closer to my dream, dream to work in/for Microsoft.

If I can do it then why can’t you??? Remember follow your dreams and they will follow you back. If in case you stuck somewhere and need someone to pull you up then don’t hesitate to contact me. I will feel great to help you.

12 comments:

  1. I have No words to say Virander... Great job!!

    Thank you for sharing it with us... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should aim higher, what is a wipro or an accenture or an onsite assignment, be bold, brave and attempt to write a framework for linux better than mono. All you have done is a natural progression and you are already feeling proud? what a shame..

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a journey, you are an inspiration and thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @2: I have never mentioned that I am proud, rather I said "I still have a million miles to walk". I can't write a framework for LINUX as writing LINUX framework is not ultimate goal. I have better plans and I am focusing on the same. Anyway Thanks for commenting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey felt happy to read ur article.. need an inspiration like u.. wish u all the best 4 everything. and dnt mind people like 2. they cant inspire anyone bcoj they themselves dnt know wat they hav to achieve.. be happy always :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job done! Anyone who has worked with you know how strong you are technically. You work hard and with a good spirit. Wish you luck and more success. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi All the very best for your future:) ,it was great reading about the achievements u hv made:)... follow ur dreams n believe in them ; ur an example for all dream chaserzz....:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks a lot for sharing this with us.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. a good progess, hope ur all dream comes true

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing buddy! Truly Expressive & hope you get what you had been always looking out for!!! :)

    P.S. Touchwood :) :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. @All... Thanks a lot for commenting :) I wish you the same... All the best for your future and wish your dreams come true... Always remember what I said "Follow your dreams and they will follow you back"...

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.